Camp Reminiscing [Part 2]
For those of you who don’t know, I started a series last month. For background, I recommend you read Part I, or at least the intro at that link.
Today I will focus on one thing that I learned from someone who will remain anonymous. This person was in a position of leadership at one point, and I have a lot of respect for him/her. I learned a lot from him/her so I don't want to do any damage on here, hence the anonymity! Overall, I feel that he/she liked me and I liked him/her, but there was just this little bit of weirdness.
For some reason, I think he/she put me into a box (figuratively speaking of course). He/she had me pegged as a prissy girl, with a hint of naivety and bore. I’m not sure how I made this initial impression on him/her, nor am I sure why I never could shake it. At least, I don’t think I ever shook it.
Because of his/her impression of me, he/she apparently didn't think that Glenn and I were a good match. This person even went so far as to predict the demise of our future marriage (told that to a very good friend of mine, I might add). I wish I could remember how many years he/she gave us, but I am pretty sure we have already beat it! And, I might add, he/she was WRONG! We're a GREAT match and we'll be together 'til death do us part!
What I learned? Don't put people in boxes! (And keep your opinions to yourself, unless you don't mind losing a little integrity...)
Today I will focus on one thing that I learned from someone who will remain anonymous. This person was in a position of leadership at one point, and I have a lot of respect for him/her. I learned a lot from him/her so I don't want to do any damage on here, hence the anonymity! Overall, I feel that he/she liked me and I liked him/her, but there was just this little bit of weirdness.
For some reason, I think he/she put me into a box (figuratively speaking of course). He/she had me pegged as a prissy girl, with a hint of naivety and bore. I’m not sure how I made this initial impression on him/her, nor am I sure why I never could shake it. At least, I don’t think I ever shook it.
Because of his/her impression of me, he/she apparently didn't think that Glenn and I were a good match. This person even went so far as to predict the demise of our future marriage (told that to a very good friend of mine, I might add). I wish I could remember how many years he/she gave us, but I am pretty sure we have already beat it! And, I might add, he/she was WRONG! We're a GREAT match and we'll be together 'til death do us part!
What I learned? Don't put people in boxes! (And keep your opinions to yourself, unless you don't mind losing a little integrity...)
3 Comments:
wow, ouch! what a sad camp memory!!! I had someone tell that to Rob and me the year we met. . well they didn't say all those mean things. . they just said "It won't last, its just a camp romance." HA! Its almost 29 years later, and almost 25 years of that married!!!! What do people know? NOTHING! They make wrong assessments all the time.
By
kathryn, At
9:26 PM
Why do people have to suck? This person probably made these comments out of jealousy - they've probably forgotten all about that jealousy after all these years, but here you are still carrying that burden. That's not fair.
I guess a huge part of our character comes from how we deal with such comments and the subsequent feelings, emotions, and hurt that they leave. You probably have spent a lot of time trying to break out of that box this person put you in, and justify to yourself that they were wrong about you. So much energy spent on something so wrong, and meaningless. It SUCKS!
I know you don't need the justification from me, but I'll say it anyway...I've known you for 13 years (something like that), and I can say for a fact that you are not a bore, you are not prissy, and you are certainly NOT naive! You are one of the strongest women I know, you've made sacrifices that would break many people, you have incredible dedication to your family, you have a fascinating sense of humour and an incredible depth of character!
Someone like you can't be put into a box Sherri! Cardboard just ain't your style! :)
K
By
Krista, At
9:49 PM
Krista,
You are too kind! Thank you. Rest assured that I don't feel like I'm carrying this or anything. It was just something I remembered when I thought back to camp days. I'm glad it elicited such nice words from you though! That series of compliments should get me through 2006!
Sherri
By
Sherri Lavender, At
6:54 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home