I'm a super Mom, but I'm no Supermom!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

And off we go AGAIN

Tomorrow is the day Jonah and I head to St. John's, NL. We are both pretty excited! For my American friends I have included the following map of Canada. We live in Ontario, the coral part by the Great Lakes there, and we're going to the purple part on the far right.


We don't have too many plans, aside from spending time with family. I am hoping to go to the GEO CENTRE and Signal Hill. My brother took this picture of Cabot Tower (on Signal Hill) earlier this year:


And here's an historical tidbit for you:
Cabot Tower was built in 1897 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of John Cabot's discovery of Newfoundland, and Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. In 1901, Marconi received the first trans-Atlantic wireless message at a position near the tower, the letter "S" in Morse Code sent from Cornwall, England.

I'm pretty sure the "S" was for Sherri, yes? Cabot Tower is now the centre of Signal Hill Historical Park. I can still remember doing one of the LONG hiking trails when I was much younger. I can remember the feeling of my legs about to fall off... Hmmmm... I wonder how long that walk actually is? You know how you go back to your primary school and realize how surprisingly TINY it is for how HUGE it felt at the time?

Anyway, I'll let you know how my trip goes!

3 Comments:

  • I hope you have a wonderful time in Newfie and that Jonah has fun getting to know his greatgrandfather.

    See ya when you get home.

    Travel safely

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:10 PM  

  • sounds like a fun time! About the "S" sent as the first wireless transmission. . .i think it might have stood for " @#%* the thing actually works!" Great picture of Signal Hill. Hopefully it isn't too cold there?

    By Blogger kathryn, At 9:32 PM  

  • Yeah ... that really is a great picture of Signal Hill.

    ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home