To leash or not to leash? That is the question
I’m not talking about dogs here, but if you must know, yes, leash your dog. And for that matter, scoop his doo doo off the sidewalk too. Oh, the countless times I’ve had to guide my feet and Jonah’s stroller around the stuff… how rude!!!
I’m actually asking about leashes for children! Today you can find several kinds of leashes for children: a harness, a wrist strap, and even electronic leashes. Some think leashes are a good idea or a safety must. Others disagree. Check out some discussion on this topic here and here.
Jonah is a lot like his father. He is very adventurous. He likes to explore. He likes to get out there and meet people and perhaps even entertain a little. Glenn’s uncle and aunt informed me the other day that Glenn was a “live wire” when he was a child. And Glenn’s mother has told me that teachers and others would know when Glenn was sick as a child because he would be walking around instead of running everywhere. Jonah is a lot like his father. Jonah has always been on the move, always trying to get somewhere and get something.
We went to the mall yesterday. Jonah was in heaven. He absolutely did not want to stay in the stroller, so Glenn let him out. He had a blast smiling at and saying “hi” to people and watching and following other children. He enjoyed touching all the clothes on the racks. He kept leaving one store. As soon as he got out the first time he put his arms out to a stranger and said “up”. The second time he went up to two children at a bench who were eating ice-cream. He was all smiles. I think he wanted a taste. We nearly had a serious issue except for some quick Daddy moves – Jonah located the panic button by the teller and nearly pushed it! (To his credit, it was within his reach and had a very cool flashing light.)
Yesterday, I decided I would never take Jonah to the mall on my own if I actually wanted to accomplish something, like buy things. At least not in the next year or so.
So what are your thoughts? Should I leash my child?
I’m actually asking about leashes for children! Today you can find several kinds of leashes for children: a harness, a wrist strap, and even electronic leashes. Some think leashes are a good idea or a safety must. Others disagree. Check out some discussion on this topic here and here.
Jonah is a lot like his father. He is very adventurous. He likes to explore. He likes to get out there and meet people and perhaps even entertain a little. Glenn’s uncle and aunt informed me the other day that Glenn was a “live wire” when he was a child. And Glenn’s mother has told me that teachers and others would know when Glenn was sick as a child because he would be walking around instead of running everywhere. Jonah is a lot like his father. Jonah has always been on the move, always trying to get somewhere and get something.
We went to the mall yesterday. Jonah was in heaven. He absolutely did not want to stay in the stroller, so Glenn let him out. He had a blast smiling at and saying “hi” to people and watching and following other children. He enjoyed touching all the clothes on the racks. He kept leaving one store. As soon as he got out the first time he put his arms out to a stranger and said “up”. The second time he went up to two children at a bench who were eating ice-cream. He was all smiles. I think he wanted a taste. We nearly had a serious issue except for some quick Daddy moves – Jonah located the panic button by the teller and nearly pushed it! (To his credit, it was within his reach and had a very cool flashing light.)
Yesterday, I decided I would never take Jonah to the mall on my own if I actually wanted to accomplish something, like buy things. At least not in the next year or so.
So what are your thoughts? Should I leash my child?
8 Comments:
I think if he will stay by your side with a leash then I am all for it. If he is kicking and screaming everytime you put it on or makes you drag him (ala Bethany) I would stick with the stroller until he can walk and hold your hand without running away. :0) Personally as a mom with a very active daugther who has never met a stranger we tried it. I think it is great especially if you are going to someplace extremely crowded where he could get lost. The wrist one worked pretty well but Bethany hated the harness so that only happened once.
We got horrible looks from people (mostly teenagers that did not have children) but we never lost our child while she was wearing it. Plus,when I was a teenager I was the one rolling my eyes saying I would never do that until my mom said "Why not? You were on a leash because you never met a stranger and would just run off."
By
Welcome to our crazy blessed life, At
8:21 PM
hmmm. . i think i'd be for it. . never used on my kids but didn't really have to. My youngest sister had a pink harness. . it was an over both shoulders dealie. . my mother attached her to the clothesline out in our backyard!! *we lived on a very busy street at the time* apparently i was a very busy, fast and running type child. . i don't remember being harnessed? my parents claimed they chased after me everywhere. Erica is one of those kinds of babies too. . . runs, moves so fast and notices and gets into every little thing. . she for sure could use a leash! fast and fearless is a bad combination!!
By
kathryn, At
10:00 PM
Uh, Glenn had a harness too...I don't remember it being used a lot, but I do remember it on him. He knew where every washroom was in every store in town, I swear! And I remember him, and Krista, being lost in a store at least once - hence the "family whistle". Would I use one on Miles? I'd be afraid of doing to him what I ended up doing to Glenn when he was small - I grabbed him by the back of the shirt and he slipped and fell and smacked the back of his head off the trailer doorstep (we were on vacation, in the U.S.). Yes, I still feel bad about that! It could so easily happen with a harness.
Then again, it could be Miles who ends up dragging me around... :)
By
Tracy, At
10:50 PM
All I can think about is Philip the Hyper-Hypo (Mike Myers SNL circa 1992-94) harnessed to the "big toy" running down the streets of New York with the thing trailing behind him, helmet on and chocolate all over his face!
If it works for you, I don't see anything wrong with it!
:)
(I' hope you've seen, or at least heard of that SNL skit?!)
By
Krista, At
1:11 AM
The electronic leash sounds more civilised :) The first time I saw a child in a leash I was shocked, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it's probably quite a good idea.
We were just made to sit in the shopping trolley, be quiet, and if we were good, we'd get a milky way bar :)
By
Paula, At
9:19 PM
Hey Sherri,
This is a very interesting topic, one which I haven't fully decided on myself. Darcy still isn't walking on her own, so we've never let her loose in the mall. However, she and Jonah seem to be very much alike in her personalities. She is always holding up her hands to strangers in stores and when we're out for walks, asking to go "up". It's cute, but still it's a real concern.
I'm pretty sure I'm opposed to using the "leash" but I may feel differently when she's actually walking. She likes being in her stroller now, but that may change when she tastes the independence of walking. You just can mess around when it comes to their safety.
Thanks for the food for thought, and the helpful links. I've never heard of the electronic leashes before and that's something I might consider.
By
Sue Matthews, At
10:17 PM
I meant to say you CAN'T mess around when it comes to safety. I'm not a negligent mother.
By the way Krista, I love the hyper-hypo skit!
By
Sue Matthews, At
10:19 PM
I think I wouldn't want to leash Jedidiah, only 'cause it does seem sort of mean... but I really doubt it would damage a child if used in the best way possible. I was also thinking that by using a leash you aren't teaching your child to obey but instead you're just restraining them. Of course, it's really difficult for a 1 year old to understand the need for safety and sticking next to his momma... so maybe for a short time it's necessary until Jonah can understand more clearly what is required. I wouldn't think you were mean if you did it! :o)
By
Carla, At
5:42 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home