Movie night

This past Saturday Tracy, Miles, Jonah and I went to the library to rent a children's movie as a special treat for the boys. We picked this movie because hey, can you go wrong with Winnie the Pooh? And the description on the back was cute and I'm pretty sure included the phrase "delightful journey". And here, let me add some more of the product's description... "one of the most cherished family classics ever made about one of the most enduring and celebrated friendships of all time... overflowing with laughter... fun from start to finish, POOH'S GRAND ADVENTURE -- THE SEARCH FOR CHRISTOPHER ROBIN proves that the happiest journeys begin and end with best friends!" [emphasis added]
Aunt Krista joined us for supper, the boys had quick baths and then we were ready. It all started out great. We air-popped some popcorn which Jonah really hasn't eaten before... His was totally plain but surprisingly, just minutes into the movie, was completely gone!
Also within minutes of the movie's start, Aunt Krista was moved to tears at the beauty of the relationship between Winnie-the-Pooh and Christopher Robin (I'm not even kidding).
And then it happened. This G rated movie went wrong. Thinking back now, I'm just not sure why we let the boys watch this entire 76-minute feature!? The boys were literally shaking with fear! Jonah was on my lap, constantly wrapping my arms around him. I had to encourage him to take deep breaths. And even at the end, when everything was resolved, Jonah was still shaking!
Don't get me wrong - there wasn't really anything terribly scary going on. But the potential was there, the soundtrack was powerful and it did it's job. The suspense was more than two little boys could bear!
At the end of the movie, Jonah kept saying, "That wasn't much of a show" and "Sorry Aunt Krista" and "I need to watch my downstairs shows next time." Both boys went to bed asking about monsters! Jonah got up at 10:30pm and slept in bed with me all night long - THAT'S a FIRST! [He's pretty much back to normal now though.]
I give this movie the rating of T for Terrifying and I don't recommend it for children 3 and under! For fun, let me re-write some of the product description...
"one of the most scary family classics ever made about one of the most enduring and celebrated friendships of all time... overflowing with suspense... terrifying from start to finish, POOH'S GRAND ADVENTURE -- THE SEARCH FOR CHRISTOPHER ROBIN proves that the scariest journeys begin and end with best friends!"
8 Comments:
that's way too hilarious
who would have guessed?
I'm so tempted to find that movie to show Jed to see his reaction
lol
By
Carla, At
2:18 PM
Whoa! Yeah, those heffalumps and woozle things are scary!!! Is that what the boys saw? They used to scare my brother, lol!
By
Anonymous, At
5:49 PM
Was it the "Forever" song that got to Krista?
Laura likes that movie, but she's two months away from being 5. I think she used to find it a bit scary.
I think I've only seen it all the way through once or twice, but Laura watches it a lot with my Mom when we are there on Sundays!
By
Anonymous, At
9:33 PM
Yeah, that was it Lynn! I'm a big suck.
By
Krista, At
9:17 AM
Me too Krista!
In fact, this time last year, Laura was going to start JK in about a month. That movie, and anything else that talked about starting school, or the first day of school made me cry! Even an episode of "Timothy Goes To School" (a cartoon) did it to me. A new girl at school wanted her mom to stay with her!
Laura was excited about going and I was ready for her to go, but it was still weepy!
By
Anonymous, At
10:43 AM
I am convinced that I would be an emotional wreck as a mother. My children would see me welling up and just start shaking their heads - here she goes again! ;-)
My co-worker's mother called her from Florida on her birthday last year and left her a message during which she started recounting the day Heather was born - but she got all choked up and had to hang up the phone! That would totally be me as a mom! (Heather just laughed, but she agreed that it was sweet!)
By
Krista, At
12:18 PM
hey sherri! i have been reading your blogs for sometime now!! and been a downhere fan for quite some time!! i read that you where going to be out on the road with downhere this summer...are you going to be at the tulsa show tomarrow? i cant wait for it...havent seen downhere in a looooong time!! but anyways maybe i wont be shy and will say hi if you are there tomarrow! happy belated bday:)
By
Anonymous, At
5:00 PM
Thanks for the warning!! Gosh! who knew??
By
Patti S., At
11:05 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home